Morson Projects were appointed by Transport for London to support them with Tunnels Maintenance & Capital Works across four geographical areas.
The eight-year London Highways Alliance Contracts (LoHAC) split the works to maintain and build London’s highway network geographically into four works areas.
Morson Projects Ematics division has agreements in the form of standard contracts and frameworks to provide technology services to Transport for London (TfL) and the three contractors covering the four geographical areas through to the end of the current LoHAC period in 2020. The North West, North East, Central, and South LoHAC areas contain tunnel and underpass infrastructure with extensive capital works and maintenance requirements.
Combined with a previous six-year contract, Ematics has effectively provided maintenance and capital works for all of the tunnels in TfL’s estate for over ten years.
Under these contracts, Ematics completed the design, installation and support of various SCADA, PLC and Control systems for control and monitoring of critical assets, including all London road tunnels operated by TfL. This includes long-term support and maintenance of all systems, with continuous maintenance visits and works in the form of monthly, quarterly and annual visits.
Specific projects have included:
- Replace Existing SCADA with Citect – provision of two fully integrated redundant systems, one covering the South area (Blackwall/Rotherhithe) and one covering the North and Central areas (George Green/Green Man/Fore St. Tunnels)
- Fully integrated, unified SCADA client allowing monitoring and control functionality for SCADA and associated sub-systems from a single client app – Multiple instances implemented at various control rooms, facilities and maintenance depots
- Replacement PLC Hardware – Schneider Quantum Hot Standby and Momentum PLCs
- Replacement Ethernet Networks, including liaison with client’s IT and Network Specialists
- Integration of remote underpass systems, lighting schemes and pumping stations.
- London Tunnels LSTOC Systems Upgrade – Design assistance for TfL and Indra – SCADA/PLC interfacing to Horus via comms links and controlling documentation issues
- Provision of Interface to BScout Lighting System
- Provision of Interface to Linear Heat Detection
- George Green/Green Man – Supply, install and controls for 70x illuminated Wayfinder signs. Penstock Automation – Supply, install and controls for 7x motorised penstocks, gas monitoring & drainage controls. Upgraded SCADA/PLCs, including River Lea Pump Room, Eastway, and Bow Underpass
- Fore St. Tunnel – eMaster Lighting controllers, Upgraded existing SCADA/PLC system
- Hanger Lane Tunnel – Supply, install and controls for 44x illuminated Wayfinder signs. Supply, install and control of both temporary & permanent Lighting. Upgraded existing SCADA / PLC controls, added to TfL North system
- Upper Thames Street Tunnel – Upgrade BMS systems to SCADA/PLC control
- Eltham Tunnel – Upgraded existing system to SCADA/PLC controls, added to TfL South SCADA system. Added EDP Monitoring
- Blackwall Tunnel – Northbound Sub-tunnel Linear Heat Fire Detection
Delivering the project requirements to an agreed Statement of Work (SOW), the Morson Projects team carried out services to include:
- SCADA & PLC Contorl Systems
- Specialist Tunnel & Highway Systems
- PLC Interface
- Secure Networks
- Alarm Management
- Remote Monitoring
- Field Devices
- Predictive Maintenance
- Backup & Recovery
- Patch Management